Skip to main content

DIY: Upcycled Painted Glass Jar to Shimmery Flower Light Display

 Looking for a fun and eco-friendly DIY project? Look no further! Discover how to upcycle a plain glass jar into a mesmerizing flower light display that will add a touch of magic to any room. Get ready to shine bright!

Today, I will teach you how to upcycle a glass candle jar. For this project, I am reusing a glass jar that I have washed out. You won't need many materials for this craft. The main items required for this project are a glass jar, Mod Podge, acrylic paint, and shimmery flower embellishments. Fortunately, I found a pack of shimmery flower embellishments at my local Hobby Lobby store, which was discounted. You can use any embellishments of your choice. The full list of materials is provided below:

Shimmery flower glass jar light display

Video tutorial


Shimmery flower glass jar light display

Materials needed:

- One glass jar (I am reusing a glass candle jar)

- Acrylic paint

- Mod Podge

- Ribbon

- Paintbrush

- Shimmery flower embellishments

- Hot glue

- Scissors

-Battery-operated push light

Materials such as glass jar, flower embellishments and Mod Podge

Applying acrylic paint and Mod Podge

To begin, mix your acrylic paint with Mod Podge. I opted for white acrylic paint. You can apply the acrylic paint first, then the Mod Podge, if you prefer. Apply the mixture to half of the glass jar, leaving the top of the glass jar untouched. After two coats, use a heating tool to dry the applied mixture.

**Sealing and Protection**: Mod Podge acts as a protective sealant, creating a barrier that helps safeguard painted surfaces from scratches, dust, and moisture. This is particularly beneficial for items that will be used frequently or exposed to the elements. Incorporating Mod Podge into your painted projects is an excellent way to increase their longevity, enhance visual appeal, and enjoy the crafting process even more!

Glass jar, Acrylic paint, paintbrush and Mod Podge

Adding the ribbon and flower embellishments

Next, take your ribbon and wrap it around your jar, starting to wrap it around the top of the painted section. Once you have wrapped it around, use some hot glue and glue down your ribbon as you continue to wrap it around your jar. Use scissors to cut any excess ribbon and glue down the remaining ribbon.

Flower embellishments, ribbon and scissors
The last step is to take your flower embellishments and begin to add them to your jar. Place some on the ribbon and just above the ribbon. Since my flower embellishments came in various sizes, I mixed them as I glued them in place.

Hand holding flower over glass jar
Once you are done, place your battery-operated push light inside your glass jar. That's it! Your light display is complete, and isn't it so pretty? I love how it turned out. My oldest daughter placed it in her room for now, and she loves how it looks when the light is on. 

Shimmery flower glass jar light display
This is an excellent method to repurpose a glass candle jar or any unused jar in your home. Instead of disposing of those jars, utilize them creatively, add your personal touch, and showcase them as a decorative piece in your space.
Please let me know if you decide to create one. I would love to hear about your experience.

Pin Share Save

Pinterest pin showing Shimmery flower glass jar light display

















Comments

  1. This is a great DIY project for the holidays. #The Ultimate Link-Up Party

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Joanne, thank you so much. I appreciate it. :)

      Delete
  3. That is so cute and pretty! Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is lovely! I really like the colors, too. Thank you for sharing this post at the Will Blog for Comments #19 linkup!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is lovely, and I actually have everything I need to make this!! I found you at the Will Blog for Comments link party. I hope you visit my post and comment as well. Thanks for this cute idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sally, thank you for visiting. I'm happy to hear you enjoyed this craft. :) I'll be sure to visit your blog!

      Delete
  6. Happy new year! Thanks for sharing with us, I'll be featuring you this week when the next To Grandma's house we go link party starts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tarahlynn, thank you so much! Happy New Year to you as well. :) Excited to be featured next week.

      Delete
  7. These light jars are gorgeous and so perfect for winter evenings. And love how they can be customized to suit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. I'm happy you enjoyed this craft. ☺️

      Delete
  8. Congratulations, Stephanie! This post was a favorite among readers of the Will Blog for Comments #19 linkup, so it will be featured in the spotlight all next week, beginning today! You're welcome to save the "This blog post was a featured favorite" image from there to share with your readers here, if you like. Thanks for sharing this great post at the linkup--hope to see you next week with another post or two, old or new! :) Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jennifer, thank you so much. I'm thrilled to hear that it was enjoyed. 😊 I hope that you have a wonderful weekend.

      Delete
  9. Very pretty, love the soft glow of the lights. I am happy to feature your project at Love Your Creativity. Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Linda, thank you so much! Happy to be featured at your party. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely project Step - congrats for being featured at Inspire Me Monday #577 (May 2024)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I appreciate the feature. :)

      Delete
  12. This is so pretty and such an easy craft make too. I'm thinking perfect for easy gifts! Thanks for sharing with us at Handmade Monday :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is so pretty! Another lovely project.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I’ll try this. Just wondering why the mod Podge - either mixed with the paint or on top of paint?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great question! I used Mod Podge to protect the paint. When you look up what Mod Podge can do for paint, you'll find that it can seal acrylic paint. Mod Podge, whether in liquid or spray form, provides a protective, fast-drying, and clear finish for crafts, wood, and paper. For the best results on painted projects, it's important to apply multiple thin and even coats. This helps to avoid issues like brush strokes, tackiness, or uneven and cloudy finishes.- I hope that helps!!

      Delete

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! Your comments and creative ideas truly brighten my day. I do my best to respond to everyone, so if you have a question or just want to say hello, please leave a note below. To keep our community a positive and inspiring space, spam or off-topic comments will be removed. Happy crafting!

Popular posts from this blog

How I Styled 6 Fall Trays Using Simple Reused Decor

  This fall, I wanted to challenge myself to decorate with just a few simple items—things most of us already have tucked away in our craft bins. With one round tray, a Dollar Tree lantern, a battery‑operated LED candle, a handful of faux florals, and a mix of Dollar Tree pumpkins, I created six different autumn looks. Each one feels cozy, seasonal, and unique, all without buying a bunch of new décor. My goal was to show how versatile your everyday pieces can be. By swapping out colors, textures, and small accents, you can build fresh designs that fit your style and your space. Watch the video tutorial Decorating Each Tray My First Tray: Classic Lantern & Autumn Florals For my first tray, I began by placing a round tray on a woven placemat to create a cozy base. Next, I placed the black lantern in the center and added a small LED candle inside. I figured this would provide a soft autumn glow that I love. I took yellow faux florals and arranged them around the lantern to brighten...

Three Easy Candle Jar Ideas for Cozy Porch Décor

I've always thought there was something so comforting about soft candlelight, especially when it’s paired with a few simple faux florals and greenery. Today, I’m sharing a sweet little project in which I decorated a glass jar in three different ways. Each jar has its own personality, glow, and gentle charm. These pieces are perfect for porch décor, but they work beautifully anywhere you want to add a touch of warmth. I love projects like this—simple materials, quiet moments, and a finished piece that feels peaceful and handmade. Watch the Video Tutorial Materials I Used Clear glass jar Battery‑operated candle Faux string of pearls Faux succulents Faux vine Bright pink faux flowers (tops removed from stems) Yellow faux flowers Faux foliage Optional: woven mat or tray for display Jar 1: Succulents & String of Pearls For the first jar, I wanted something earthy and calming. I placed a faux string of pearls inside the jar and let it settle naturally. Around it, I tucked in a few fa...

Fall Fox Garland: Easy and Affordable DIY Decor with Dollar Tree Items

Create a beautiful fall-themed fox garland using affordable Dollar Tree items. This easy and inexpensive DIY decor project will add a touch of seasonal charm to your home. Follow our step-by-step guide to make your own fall fox garland today. Hello everyone! I'm excited to share an effortless garland design with you all. Our project today involves creating a garland using fox ornaments purchased from Dollar Tree. We will also incorporate wooden mini-leaf embellishments and faux floral to add a wonderful touch. You can find a complete list of materials below. Video tutorial Creating your fall fox garland Materials  Mod Podge Paintbrush Acrylic paint Mini wood leaf embellishments Fox ornaments  Decorative napkin I'm also using a mini-craft iron  Parchment paper Hot glue Craft knife Sandpaper Adding the decorative napkin to the wooden foxes using Mod Podge To prepare the wooden fox for decorating, start by removing the bottom layer of the napkin. If you have a mini craft iro...

How I Refreshed an Old Garden Statue with Paint (Easy Patio DIY)

This charming toad perched on his toadstool has been a beloved part of our patio for years, enduring the passage of time while gradually succumbing to the effects of sun and weather. With each season, he has faded a little more, losing some of his vibrant colors and details. Rather than allowing him to blend into the background and become just another forgotten decoration, I decided it was time to breathe new life into him.  Watch the Video Tutorial I shared the whole process in a quick YouTube Shorts video called “Watch Me Refresh This Old Garden Statue.” It’s a simple before‑and‑after, but such a satisfying one.  Materials I Used Garden statue (mine is a toad on a toadstool) Sandpaper Acrylic paints Small detail brushes Mod Podge (for sealing and protection) Sanding and Painting I began by gently sanding the statue to smooth out the chipped and faded paint. It only takes a few minutes, but it makes such a difference. Once the surface felt ready, I brought out my a...

Easy Steps to Create a Cozy Autumn Tablescape at Home

Hello everyone! I’m excited that you decided to visit the blog today. I wanted to share how to create a cozy autumn tablescape at home. My goal was to design something warm and inviting, as our table is a space where we share conversations, drink coffee, tackle homework, and simply enjoy each other’s company.  I typically don’t go all out when decorating my dining table, but I wanted to show you how I styled it using decor pieces I already had. I would love for you to join me in this decorating adventure! Watch the video tutorial Create a Cozy Autumn Tablescape at Home Items I'm adding to my table:  -White tablecloth runner - Battery-operated leaf lights  - Reusing glass jars  - Mini pumpkins and other fall decorations  - Small "Hello Fall" sign  - Faux flowers I began by spreading my white tablecloth down the center of the table. Around Halloween, I purchased this tablecloth a few years ago at my local Walmart. After laying it out, I realized that I could ...

Search This Blog

All content Copyright

Copyright 2021-2026 I ask that you do not take or use my photos or words without permission. If you have any questions, please feel free and contact me. Also, for more information on this blog, check out the disclosure policy tab above. Thank you