Skip to main content

DIY Mini Wood Lantern

 Hello everyone. I'm so excited to share this mini wood lantern craft with you all. I recently bought a box of wood tumbling blocks from Dollar Tree, and I wasn't sure what I was going to create with them. I decided since I also had some wood craft popsicle sticks on hand that I would use those with the blocks, and create a mini wood lantern. This project took around 30 minutes, but I promise you, you will just love how it all comes together with just a few materials. If you're ready, I'd love it if you created it with me! 

Handmade black lantern with faux floral and greenery displayed on it

Video tutorial




Craft materials such as faux floral, wood tumbling blocks, hot glue, and paint

Materials

One pack of wood tumbling blocks
 I purchased mine at my local Dollar Tree
Ten wood craft popsicle sticks
Paint
 I'm using black paint, I also had some antique white paint on hand, but I went with black paint
Hot glue
Twine
Faux floral, and greenery
One medium-sized bead
One battery-operated candle
Floral snips
Scissors

wood block pieces on a table

Building the top and bottom sections of the lantern

Hand near block pieces to show how to put together lantern

Start by taking five of your tumbling blocks. Using your hot glue them together. You will glue three together in the middle, take the last two blocks, and all of them onto the sides of the three blocks in the middle.  Repeat this step when you work on creating the second set of your blocks. 

Applying paint 

Paintbrush, top and bottom lantern pieces and black paint on a table

Next, begin to add your black paint to your blocks. I added around two coats of paint.

Attaching craft sticks

Image showing bottom of lantern with four craft sticks on each four corners

You are now ready to add your craft popsicle sticks. Start by taking your hot glue, and adding just a little on the end of each popsicle stick. Once you have done this, add the sticks to your painted wood section.  Glue two sticks onto one side of your glued blocks, and take another two sticks and add them on the opposite side.

Image showing lantern being put together

Hand holding top of lantern to show placement

Take your second painted glued block section, and using hot glue add that between the popsicle sticks on the top.  

Unfinished lantern with craft sticks

image showing craft sticks being glued down to create lantern

Next, take your wooden craft sticks, and add them. You will create an X when you add them. Add them onto the back, and two sides of your lantern. You will want to keep an opening in the front for when you add your battery-operated candle.

Attaching wooden bead

close up of unfinished lantern

After applying your wood craft sticks, take some hot glue and your medium-sized bead and add it to the top of your glued wood blocks. 

Applying paint to craft sticks and wooden bead

lantern next to black paint, with a few unpainted craft sticks

Next, apply paint to your craft sticks, and wooden bead. 

Adding faux floral and twine

black lantern lying down on table with faux floral and greenery near by

You are now ready to add on your floral, greenery, and twine.

Hand next to handmade lantern showing faux floral and greenery

Take a strand of twine, and tie it around your bead on top. I folded my twine in half and then tied it around my bead. I used some hot glue to glue down any remaining twine once I had cut the ends off.
Take your flowers, and greenery and add them to your lantern. I added my floral on the top section of my lantern, and my vines on the front of my lantern. 

Handmade black lantern with faux floral and greenery displayed on it

All that is left is to take your battery-operated candle and add that to the inside of your lantern. Once you have added that in, take any remaining greenery, and add it to the inside of your lantern. I went ahead and placed a piece of vine on the inside of my lantern. 

Handmade black lantern with faux floral and greenery displayed on it


Close up of black handmade lantern and faux floral and greenery

Handmade black lantern with faux floral and greenery sitting on a windowsill

Your mini wood lantern is now complete! I absolutely love how this project turned out. This is perfectly displayed in any space. I hope you enjoyed this DIY mini wood lantern. Be sure to let me know if you decide to create one too! I'll see you soon.

Pinterest pin image of Handmade black lantern with faux floral and greenery displayed on it



























































Comments

  1. Great tutorial Steph and a such a gorgeous end result! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Denise, you are always so kind. Thank you so much. --And thank you for stopping by. =)

      Delete
  2. I'm a huge fan of using Dollar Tree finds for crafts and decor and this is a darling project! Thanks for sharing at Vintage Charm. xo Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathleen, thank you so much. I would have seen this comment sooner if it
      wasn't marked as spam. I have no clue why that happened. Thank you so much
      for stopping by.

      Delete
  3. How cute is that? Love it! Thanks so much for linking up at the Unlimited Link Party 78. Pinned.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Visiting again to say thanks so much for linking up at the #UnlimitedLinkParty 103. Shared.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dee, thank you! Always a pleasure linking up.

      Delete
  5. Stephanie, CONGRATS! Your post is FEATURED at the #UnlimitedLinkParty 104!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love little things like this I call them charmers because they typically make someone smile thanks for sharing come see us at http://shopannies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, that is nice to hear. Thank you for visiting, and I'm always happy to hear that I was able to make someone smile. :)

      Delete
  7. Omg, this is so adorable 🥰 I have plenty of small leftovers of wood so I'll give it a try when I have time. Where did you buy the flowers?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you so much. It's such a simple project. The flowers are from Michaels craft store. :)

      Delete
  8. What an adorable little DIY Stephanie!!
    Thank you for sharing your mini wood lantern at Create, Bake, Grow & Gather this week. I'm delighted to be featuring it at Friday's party and pinning it too.
    Hugs ~ Kerryanne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kerryanne, thank you so much. I'm happy to hear that you enjoyed my mini lantern project. I'm excited to be part of the featured posts at the next party. Thank you. 😊

      Delete
  9. How clever is a wooden lantern built for a candle votive! This is so unique!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. This was such a fun project to work on.

      Delete
  10. This is so adorable, I will certainly save the post and make a few of these. So cute :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This would perfect as a table centerpiece for a summer party. Thanks for sharing the idea. This post will be a feature this week. #HomeMattersParty

    ReplyDelete
  12. Super adorable, Steph! Such a clever DIY, too! Thanks for sharing at Tuesday Turn About. I'll be featuring you at this week's party! Pinned!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Julie, I'm so happy to hear you enjoyed my mini lantern craft. It puts a big smile on my face. Thank you, and I'm thrilled to be featured at your party. ♡

      Delete
  13. I cannot get over that you made the lantern yourself! This is so darling. I love how cozy this looks. Beautiful job, Steph. Visiting from the Wednesdays in the Studio linkup.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You are always so inspiring with the crafts and DIY projects that you create, Steph! Thanks for sharing! Creatively, Beth

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! Your comments and creative ideas truly brighten my day. I do my best to respond to everyone, so if you have a question or just want to say hello, please leave a note below. To keep our community a positive and inspiring space, spam or off-topic comments will be removed. Happy crafting!

Popular posts from this blog

Easy Steps to Create a Cozy Autumn Tablescape at Home

Hello everyone! I’m excited that you decided to visit the blog today. I wanted to share how to create a cozy autumn tablescape at home. My goal was to design something warm and inviting, as our table is a space where we share conversations, drink coffee, tackle homework, and simply enjoy each other’s company.  I typically don’t go all out when decorating my dining table, but I wanted to show you how I styled it using decor pieces I already had. I would love for you to join me in this decorating adventure! Watch the video tutorial Create a Cozy Autumn Tablescape at Home Items I'm adding to my table:  -White tablecloth runner - Battery-operated leaf lights  - Reusing glass jars  - Mini pumpkins and other fall decorations  - Small "Hello Fall" sign  - Faux flowers I began by spreading my white tablecloth down the center of the table. Around Halloween, I purchased this tablecloth a few years ago at my local Walmart. After laying it out, I realized that I could ...

How I Styled 6 Fall Trays Using Simple Reused Decor

  This fall, I wanted to challenge myself to decorate with just a few simple items—things most of us already have tucked away in our craft bins. With one round tray, a Dollar Tree lantern, a battery‑operated LED candle, a handful of faux florals, and a mix of Dollar Tree pumpkins, I created six different autumn looks. Each one feels cozy, seasonal, and unique, all without buying a bunch of new décor. My goal was to show how versatile your everyday pieces can be. By swapping out colors, textures, and small accents, you can build fresh designs that fit your style and your space. Watch the video tutorial Decorating Each Tray My First Tray: Classic Lantern & Autumn Florals For my first tray, I began by placing a round tray on a woven placemat to create a cozy base. Next, I placed the black lantern in the center and added a small LED candle inside. I figured this would provide a soft autumn glow that I love. I took yellow faux florals and arranged them around the lantern to brighten...

Easy Autumn Leaf Wood Riser | Using Dollar Tree Wooden Leaves

  Hello! I'm so happy that you decided to stop by. I hope all is well. Today we are creating an Autumn leaf wood riser. I purchased a pack of wooden leaves and wood square blocks from my local Dollar Tree. I wasn't sure what I was going to create with them. I found a piece of scrap wood in my garage and  I figured I would create a wood riser with a wood leaf design. This is a simple craft and is great for beginners.  Video tutorial Materials One scrap wood section -The size  of the one I am using is 7¾ x 3½ Paint -I'm using espresso for my riser and red for my wooden  leaves Four wood square pieces -Purchased a pack at Dollar Tree  (These are being used for the legs on the wood riser) Wooden leaves -Purchased a pack at Dollar Tree I am using 6 leaves. Depending on the size of the wood you use, you  could end up using more or less Paintbrush Hot glue Faux fall floral or leaves Floral cutters Start by taking your paint and applying it onto your scrap woo...

DIY Ghost Frame (Easy Dollar Tree Halloween Craft)

  Hi everyone! Halloween crafts don’t have to be spooky or complicated, and this little ghost frame is the perfect example. I put it together with a Dollar Tree frame, a few wooden ghosts, some gem buttons, and craft paper I already had in my stash. It’s quick, budget‑friendly, and adds the cutest touch of Halloween charm to any shelf or vignette. I love projects like this because they’re simple and relaxing, and you can customize them however you want. Different colors, different ghosts, different backgrounds — it all works. If you’re looking for a fast Halloween craft that still feels handmade and sweet, this one is definitely worth trying. Watch this video tutorial Materials I used for this project Dollar Tree frame Wooden ghost cutouts Craft paper (any color or pattern you like) Gem buttons or small embellishments Glue (hot glue or craft glue) Scissors Optional: stickers, paint, or extra accents Take the frame apart I started by removing the back of the frame, taking out both ...

Search This Blog

All content Copyright

Copyright 2021-2026 I ask that you do not take or use my photos or words without permission. If you have any questions, please feel free and contact me. Also, for more information on this blog, check out the disclosure policy tab above. Thank you