Skip to main content

Upcycled Tin Container Solar Light Display

 


Happy Wednesday! I hope that you are all doing well. Today we're working on an upcycled project using a tin can, solar light, and a few other materials. 


Upcycled Tin Container Solar Light Display Video Tutorial





Materials 

Tin: If you have a tin can around your house, this project is perfect for reusing your tin can.  I'm using a Wasabi tin can

Paint- I'm using black chalk paint

One paintbrush

Butterfly stickers- Purchased at Dollar Tree (I am using pop-up stickers, and they are not waterproof. My display is being displayed on a screened-in porch. Other options are vinyl stickers or another material that may be waterproof.

Faux succulents- They have a variety at Dollar Tree, and also at Walmart. I purchased my succulents from a few different stores

Hot glue

One solar light-Purchased at Dollar Tree

Scissors

Optional- Craft rocks or marbles- This can be placed on the inside of your tin can, to help weigh it down.
Floral snips



Take some of your black chalk paint, and apply it to your tin can.  For complete coverage, you will need to apply around three coats of paint to your tin can.  Set your tin can aside, and allow it to fully dry. 
If you would like, you can use a blow dryer on the lowest setting and dry your paint between coats. Be sure that if you're holding the can, you protect your hand with either an oven mitt or a towel. The tin can get very hot. 




Next, using your scissors, create a small hole in the middle of the lid. You want the hole to be just large enough for the solar light stake to fit through. Once you have done so, set your lid aside.






Afterward, take your hot glue and add just a little on the back side of each butterfly that you add to your tin can. Even though the butterflies have a sticky backing to them, I wanted to be sure to add some extra adhesive. 





Now you are ready to start gluing on your succulent flowers. Glue your succulent flowers around the outer section of the hole. Be sure to leave enough room for when you insert your light.

This is optional, but if you have any craft rocks or marbles, you can add them to the inside of your tin can. This helps to weigh the can down. I added in a few craft rocks after gluing my succulents. 

Note***If you are using butterfly stickers like I did, I would recommend displaying your solar light display on a porch that gets enough sunlight, but is not near any water since the butterflies are not waterproof. 
But you can use vinyl stickers or another material for your butterflies that can be in all elements. I decided to use the pop-up stickers since I am displaying my solar light on a screened-in porch.



Your solar light display is complete. I hope you have enjoyed creating this upcycled craft. Be sure to leave a comment below, and let me know if you will be creating your very own. I'll see you soon.

Pin/save/share








































Comments

  1. That's such an imaginative way to upcycle an old tin can. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks nice, I love things that light up!! Thanks so much for linking up at the #UnlimitedLinkParty 115. Pinned.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful idea Stephanie! I have been on a tin can kick myself, the possibilities are endless using them in decor. I am in loving your light idea, I need to step outside and give the patio a makeover and this would be perfect setting on one of the end tables!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes, I really enjoyed this craft. Thank you for stopping by.

      Delete
  4. Stephanie,
    What a great idea. You always come up with awesome ideas. Congratulations, You are being featured on TFT. I hope you stop by. https://www.eclecticredbarn.com/2024/04/lots-of-flowers-on-tft.html
    Hugs,
    Bev

    ReplyDelete
  5. Genuius as always. What fun to make for this time of year and evenings outside. Featuring when my link party opens!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carol, thank you. I'm happy to hear you enjoyed it. :) Excited to be featured at your party.

      Delete
  6. Coffee cans work great--I love this project!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm happy you enjoyed this project. :)

      Delete
  7. What a totally fun idea! It's lovely, Steph! Visiting from the Wednesdays in the Studio link party.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jennifer, aw, thank you! I appreciate your visit. 😊

      Delete
  8. Now you've got me thinking of waterproof ways to copy this into the yard! Featuring you at Wednesdays in the Studio!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jennifer, thank you! Yes, there are so many different ways to customize this design. Thank you for the feature.

      Delete

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! Your comments and creative ideas truly brighten my day. I do my best to respond to everyone, so if you have a question or just want to say hello, please leave a note below. To keep our community a positive and inspiring space, spam or off-topic comments will be removed. Happy crafting!

Popular posts from this blog

Mini Wood Fall Bench

 Happy Wednesday! I hope you're all doing well. I've been organizing a lot lately and found some extra fence wood pieces my husband had cut for other projects. I wanted to make something simple, so I decided to create a mini fall wood bench.  I love how it turned out! You'll only need a few materials and a smile on your face. Video tutorial Materials Two wood sections, 6¼ inches -I'm using wood pickets that I cut down to size Eight tumbling wood blocks-You can find a box at Dollar Tree Paint-white and brown Paintbrush Wood glue Optional-Mod Podge/Decorative napkin Scissors to cut your napkin design to size Start by applying paint to your two wood sections. I decided I wanted a white bench.  Next, take your tumbling blocks and paint each one. You don't need to worry about the top and bottom sections of your blocks. After that, take your blocks and glue them together. You will glue both pieces together. When you are finished, you will have a total of four legs. Next, ...

Transforming Ice Cream Cups: DIY Spring Tea Cup Floral Arrangements

  Today, we'll explore a fun and easy DIY project involving repurposing plastic mini ice cream cups into beautiful spring tea cup floral arrangements. This project is a great way to add a touch of spring to your home decor.  Before throwing away those plastic cups, consider the many possibilities in creating something new.  For this project, you will only need a few materials. Our main materials for creating the faux tea cup will be the ice cream cup and air-dry clay. So, if you're ready to create this adorable and creative springtime tea cup floral decoration, let's begin! VIDEO TUTORIAL Materials Plastic ice cream cups (I am reusing two plastic ice cream cups) Spanish moss Floral Mod Podge Decorative floral napkin Artificial spring flowers Acrylic paint (I'm using white) Paintbrush  Optional- Bumblebee button and small dowel rod- Dimensions : 0.1 inches x 6 inches. Air-dry clay Scissors Foam block Preparing your cups After washing your ice cream cups and drying the...

Decoupaged Glass Jar Candle Holders with Faux Leaves and Gold Wire

  Learn how to create beautiful decoupaged glass jar candle holders using leaves and gold wire. This DIY project is a perfect way to upcycle old glass jars and create unique candle holders for your home decor.  I hope you're all doing well. The weather has cooled down, and we're enjoying the change. I'd like to share a quick upcycling decoupage project with you all today.  I had some extra glass yogurt jars and bought two taper candle holders from Target's dollar section. I wasn't sure what to do with them at first. In today's project, I will show you how to decorate small glass jars using faux fall leaves and gold wire. Video tutorial Materials Needed: - Two taper candle holders - A paintbrush - Mod Podge - Faux fall leaves or a decorative napkin - Hot glue - Two battery-operated tealight candles - Gold wire Applying Mod Podge and faux leaves to glass jars To start with, grab a paintbrush and use it to apply Mod Podge on your glass jar. Apply a small amount of ...

Easy DIY Summer Serving Tray

Hello everyone! How's everyone doing? I hope all is well. Today I am bringing you a quick and easy design. We're going to create a summer serving tray. You could also use this tray as a decor element as well. I am reusing a wooden crate I purchased a few years back for $3 at my local Target store. I figured it would be perfect to repaint and add a few other embellishments. If you're ready, let's create a cute summer tray. Video tutorial Materials One wooden crate I am reusing an old wooden crate I purchased at Target for $3.  Acrylic paint Optional mod podge-If you decide to seal your paint One paintbrush Scissors Fruit stickers or other summer embellishments  I found a pack of clear fruit stickers at Dollar Tree One wooden summer word sign E6000 or hot glue Begin by applying your acrylic paint to your wooden tray. I am using multisurface acrylic paint for the main tray. Be sure to allow your tray to fully dry. Between each coat of paint, I used my blow dryer to help wi...

Three Easy Candle Jar Ideas for Cozy Porch Décor

I've always thought there was something so comforting about soft candlelight, especially when it’s paired with a few simple faux florals and greenery. Today, I’m sharing a sweet little project in which I decorated a glass jar in three different ways. Each jar has its own personality, glow, and gentle charm. These pieces are perfect for porch décor, but they work beautifully anywhere you want to add a touch of warmth. I love projects like this—simple materials, quiet moments, and a finished piece that feels peaceful and handmade. Video tutorial  Materials I Used Clear glass jar Battery‑operated candle Faux string of pearls Faux succulents Faux vine Bright pink faux flowers (tops removed from stems) Yellow faux flowers Faux foliage Optional: woven mat or tray for display Jar 1: Succulents & String of Pearls For the first jar, I wanted something earthy and calming. I placed a faux string of pearls inside the jar and let it settle naturally. Around it, I tucked in a few faux succul...

Search This Blog

All content Copyright

Copyright 2021-2026 I ask that you do not take or use my photos or words without permission. If you have any questions, please feel free and contact me. Also, for more information on this blog, check out the disclosure policy tab above. Thank you