Skip to main content

Dollar Tree Metal Hanging Butterfly Decoration With Gems

Hello everyone! Today, I will guide you through the process of decorating a metal butterfly. This is a hands-on craft that involves the use of gems, which can make the project take a bit longer. It took me about 30 minutes to complete this craft, and I already had most of the materials on hand, except for the butterfly and Mod Podge, which I had to purchase. As we go along, I will take you step-by-step through the process. Don't forget to check out my video tutorial for additional guidance.

Hanging metal butterfly with floral design and craft gems

Hanging metal butterfly with floral design and craft gems

Video Tutorial


Materials such as metal butterfly, paint, paintbrushes, hot glue and tissue paper

Materials

I bought a metal butterfly from my local Dollar Tree and you can find something similar in any craft store. 

For this project, I'll be using :

Mod Podge Super Gloss finish

 Chalk paint in the color Misty Pink

 Two paintbrushes

 Hot glue tissue paper

 And craft gems.

Metal butterfly with tissue paper and pencil on a table

floral tissue paper cut out in butterfly shape

Step 1: Tracing out the metal butterfly onto the gift tissue paper

To begin, grab the metal butterfly and some tissue paper. Unfold the tissue paper and place the butterfly on top of it. Use a pencil to trace the outline of the butterfly onto the tissue paper. Once you've traced the entire outline, use a pair of scissors to carefully cut out the butterfly shape from the tissue paper.

Metal butterfly and Mod Podge

Metal butterfly with floral tissue paper in center of design

Step 2: Applying Mod Podge and tissue paper

First, apply a thin layer of Mod Podge on the inside of your butterfly. Once you have applied a thin layer, place your cut-out shape on top of the Mod Podge. Make sure that the tissue paper is evenly spread and remove any lines or wrinkles that may appear. Don't worry if you can't get all the wrinkles out. After adding your tissue paper, apply a thin layer of Mod Podge on top of the tissue paper. You can use a heat gun to assist with drying.

Metal butterfly with floral tissue paper design near paintbrush and paint

Metal butterfly with outer surface painted pink

Step 3: Applying paint to metal butterfly

Now you are ready to paint the outer surface of your butterfly. With chalk paint, two coats provided complete coverage.

Metal butterfly near stretch cord and scissors

Hot glue, stretch cord and metal butterfly on a table

Step 4: Cutting and attaching the stretch cord

Next, take your stretch cord, and begin to cut three strands. Your strands can be any length that you choose. Whether you want them to be long when hanging from your butterfly, or if you decide that you want them to be a little shorter, it is completely up to you. I went with a medium length for my stretch cord.

Metal butterfly with three strands of stretch cords attached.

After cutting the stretch cord, use hot glue to attach it to the bottom section of the butterfly. Attach the cord to the inner right, left, and center of the butterfly.

Hand adding craft gems to stretch cord on metal butterfly

Step 5: Attaching craft gems to the stretch cord

You are now prepared to add your craft gems to your project. Begin by selecting two craft gems that are the same size. Apply hot glue onto one of the gems. Take the stretch cord and place it on the glued gem. Then, press the second gem onto the opposite side of the stretch cord. This will ensure that the stretch cord sits in the middle of the two gems.

Close up of craft gems on stretch cord

Repeat this step until you have filled your stretch cord with the desired amount of craft gems.

Hanging metal butterfly with floral design and craft gems

Hanging metal butterfly with floral design and craft gems

Your hanging butterfly decoration is now complete! I love how it turned out, and it looks beautiful when the sunshine hits it. I hope you enjoyed this DIY craft project. Please let me know in the comments below if you decide to create your own. See you soon!

You might also enjoy other Mod Podge crafts

DIY Spring Mini Wood Riser

Quick and easy repurposed cheese board decoration

Two Decorating Ideas For Plastic Plates

Pin/Save/Share

Pinterest pin showing Hanging metal butterfly with floral design and craft gems



















Comments

  1. Your creativity always amazes me. You never run out of ideas. Thanks so much for linking up at the #UnlimitedLinkParty 101. Shared.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Visiting again to say thanks so much for linking up at #IMadeItMondayLinkParty 13. Pinned.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stephanie, CONGRATS! Your post is FEATURED at #IMadeItMondayLinkParty 14.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! I would not have believed this came from the Dollar Tree!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So pretty, what a lovely spring decoration.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! Your comments and creative ideas truly brighten my day. I do my best to respond to everyone, so if you have a question or just want to say hello, please leave a note below. To keep our community a positive and inspiring space, spam or off-topic comments will be removed. Happy crafting!

Popular posts from this blog

How I Styled 6 Fall Trays Using Simple Reused Decor

  This fall, I wanted to challenge myself to decorate with just a few simple items—things most of us already have tucked away in our craft bins. With one round tray, a Dollar Tree lantern, a battery‑operated LED candle, a handful of faux florals, and a mix of Dollar Tree pumpkins, I created six different autumn looks. Each one feels cozy, seasonal, and unique, all without buying a bunch of new décor. My goal was to show how versatile your everyday pieces can be. By swapping out colors, textures, and small accents, you can build fresh designs that fit your style and your space. Watch the video tutorial Decorating Each Tray My First Tray: Classic Lantern & Autumn Florals For my first tray, I began by placing a round tray on a woven placemat to create a cozy base. Next, I placed the black lantern in the center and added a small LED candle inside. I figured this would provide a soft autumn glow that I love. I took yellow faux florals and arranged them around the lantern to brighten...

Easy Steps to Create a Cozy Autumn Tablescape at Home

Hello everyone! I’m excited that you decided to visit the blog today. I wanted to share how to create a cozy autumn tablescape at home. My goal was to design something warm and inviting, as our table is a space where we share conversations, drink coffee, tackle homework, and simply enjoy each other’s company.  I typically don’t go all out when decorating my dining table, but I wanted to show you how I styled it using decor pieces I already had. I would love for you to join me in this decorating adventure! Watch the video tutorial Create a Cozy Autumn Tablescape at Home Items I'm adding to my table:  -White tablecloth runner - Battery-operated leaf lights  - Reusing glass jars  - Mini pumpkins and other fall decorations  - Small "Hello Fall" sign  - Faux flowers I began by spreading my white tablecloth down the center of the table. Around Halloween, I purchased this tablecloth a few years ago at my local Walmart. After laying it out, I realized that I could ...

DIY Ghost Frame (Easy Dollar Tree Halloween Craft)

  Hi everyone! Halloween crafts don’t have to be spooky or complicated, and this little ghost frame is the perfect example. I put it together with a Dollar Tree frame, a few wooden ghosts, some gem buttons, and craft paper I already had in my stash. It’s quick, budget‑friendly, and adds the cutest touch of Halloween charm to any shelf or vignette. I love projects like this because they’re simple and relaxing, and you can customize them however you want. Different colors, different ghosts, different backgrounds — it all works. If you’re looking for a fast Halloween craft that still feels handmade and sweet, this one is definitely worth trying. Watch this video tutorial Materials I used for this project Dollar Tree frame Wooden ghost cutouts Craft paper (any color or pattern you like) Gem buttons or small embellishments Glue (hot glue or craft glue) Scissors Optional: stickers, paint, or extra accents Take the frame apart I started by removing the back of the frame, taking out both ...

Three Easy Candle Jar Ideas for Cozy Porch Décor

I've always thought there was something so comforting about soft candlelight, especially when it’s paired with a few simple faux florals and greenery. Today, I’m sharing a sweet little project in which I decorated a glass jar in three different ways. Each jar has its own personality, glow, and gentle charm. These pieces are perfect for porch décor, but they work beautifully anywhere you want to add a touch of warmth. I love projects like this—simple materials, quiet moments, and a finished piece that feels peaceful and handmade. Watch the Video Tutorial Materials I Used Clear glass jar Battery‑operated candle Faux string of pearls Faux succulents Faux vine Bright pink faux flowers (tops removed from stems) Yellow faux flowers Faux foliage Optional: woven mat or tray for display Jar 1: Succulents & String of Pearls For the first jar, I wanted something earthy and calming. I placed a faux string of pearls inside the jar and let it settle naturally. Around it, I tucked in a few fa...

How to Make Easy Beaded Wine Glass Charms

 I love creating small, simple crafts that add a personal touch to gatherings, and these wine glass charms were such a fun project. They’re easy to make, customizable, and perfect for parties, holidays, or even a cozy night in with friends. Each charm slips right onto the stem of a wine glass, making it easy for everyone to keep track of their drink. These charms come together quickly using beads, wire rings, and small metal pendants. You can mix and match colors and charms to fit any theme, and each one turns out a little different — which is part of the fun. Watch the video tutorial Materials Here’s what I used to make my wine glass charms: Wire rings Beads Small metal charms Jewelry pliers If your wire rings need trimming, use wire cutters—mine didn’t, so I didn’t need them for this project.  Choose your beads and charms Pick out the colors and shapes you want to use. I chose soft pinks, purples, and clear beads, along with heart, spiral, and flower charms. Each charm desig...

Search This Blog

All content Copyright

Copyright 2021-2026 I ask that you do not take or use my photos or words without permission. If you have any questions, please feel free and contact me. Also, for more information on this blog, check out the disclosure policy tab above. Thank you