Skip to main content

How I Refreshed an Old Garden Statue with Paint (Easy Patio DIY)

This charming toad perched on his toadstool has been a beloved part of our patio for years, enduring the passage of time while gradually succumbing to the effects of sun and weather. With each season, he has faded a little more, losing some of his vibrant colors and details. Rather than allowing him to blend into the background and become just another forgotten decoration, I decided it was time to breathe new life into him. 


Watch the Video Tutorial

I shared the whole process in a quick YouTube Shorts video called “Watch Me Refresh This Old Garden Statue.” It’s a simple before‑and‑after, but such a satisfying one. 

Materials I Used

  • Garden statue (mine is a toad on a toadstool)
  • Sandpaper
  • Acrylic paints
  • Small detail brushes
  • Mod Podge (for sealing and protection)

Sanding and Painting

I began by gently sanding the statue to smooth out the chipped and faded paint. It only takes a few minutes, but it makes such a difference. Once the surface felt ready, I brought out my acrylic paints and started adding color back in.

I maintained the original appearance but brightened it to make the colors more vibrant. The greens, yellows, and soft reds blended seamlessly, allowing the toad's personality to shine through once again. I chose a darker green for the toad's body, a lighter shade for its chest, and black and white for the eyes.

Adding the Sweet Details and sealing for the outdoors

I decided to combine the paint colors yellow and red for the toadstool. I painted tiny flowers, added soft blades of grass, and tucked a little bumblebee among the blooms.

These little details always make me smile. They bring a bit of whimsy, like a tiny story happening right there on the patio.

To help the colors last through the seasons, I finished everything with a coat of Mod Podge. It gives a gentle sheen and adds a layer of protection once the statue goes back outside. Ensure the Mod Podge cures before placing your decoration outside.

This was such a quick and calming project — the kind that reminds you how much charm you can bring back with just a little time and creativity. Now the toad is back on the patio, looking cheerful and ready for another season outdoors.

I hope this inspires you to refresh something you already have and bring a little extra joy to your outdoor space.


Pin Share Save

Comments

  1. Such a relaxing upcycle. Looks brand new.
    -M.B.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adorable! I have a few tired garden friends who need a little work. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kim, thank you so much. 😊 Happy that you stopped by. I appreciate it.

      Delete
  3. What a cute life frog! I never thought about using Mod Podge to seal the colors. Make sense though. I enjoy painting rocks- I'll remember this for my rock painting.
    Thank you for sharing.

    You are invited to share your homepage link at Life Captured HomePage LinkUp party. Opens first day each month.

    All the best.
    Debra @ Life Captured.
    https://lifecaptured.site

    ReplyDelete
  4. How adorable! You've inspired me to hunt for garden decor so I can repaint it as desired! LOVE the pattern on the mushroom, it has a sweet cottage core vibe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Aw, I'm happy to hear that I was able to inspire you. Yes, it was such a wonderful project to work on, and you're right, it even made me want to repaint even more garden decorations that need a little love. Thank you for visiting. 😊🤗

      Delete
  5. Very cute Step. Love the frog. We have frogs croaking every night. I have a few statues too. I am happy to feature your frog statue makeover at Love Your Creativity. Happy Mother's Day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda, I love that you have them at your home. We have two that have made one of our window wells their home. I put in two water bowls so they can take a dip when the weather is warm. Thank you for the feature. It's always a pleasure being featured at your party.

      Delete
  6. Hi Stephanie, featured at SSPS #410! Thanks so much for always taking a moment to share with us at SSPS.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So cute! :) I love how he turned out. Thanks for sharing this with us at the Will Blog for Comments #83 linkup! We hope you'll share more posts (old or new) with us at #84 which opens next Monday. Wishing you a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my goodness, how precious Steph. What a relaxing refresher.
    Visiting today from Will Blog For Comments.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paula, thank you. It was pretty relaxing giving this statue a refresh. Thank you for visiting.

      Delete
  9. I've had to refresh a few outdoor decor pieces myself. That paint wears off easily. Good tips.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, same. You're right, the paint does wear off easily between the elements and the sun. But it's so nice giving them a new life with paint. 🤗 Thanks so much for visiting!

      Delete
  10. This is such a cute project, Stephanie! I'm glad you revived your frog. He's adorable both ways but looks brand-new with fresh coats of paint. :) Happily shared your post at this week's Share Your Style #498. <3

    Enjoy your weekend,
    Barb :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your frog 🐸 makeover. You must have inspired others because I saw a lot of posts pop up afterward of similar makeovers. That's always great! I absolutely love yours though. Very pretty makeover.

    ✨️Chloe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chloe, thank you.
      Yes, I've seen other makeovers, and I'm happy others are giving it a try. Makeovers are so much fun. 😊🤗

      Delete
  12. Thanks so much for sharing with Sweet Tea & Friends this month Steph!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! Your comments and creative ideas truly brighten my day. I do my best to respond to everyone, so if you have a question or just want to say hello, please leave a note below. To keep our community a positive and inspiring space, spam or off-topic comments will be removed. Happy crafting!

Popular posts from this blog

How I Styled 6 Fall Trays Using Simple Reused Decor

  This fall, I wanted to challenge myself to decorate with just a few simple items—things most of us already have tucked away in our craft bins. With one round tray, a Dollar Tree lantern, a battery‑operated LED candle, a handful of faux florals, and a mix of Dollar Tree pumpkins, I created six different autumn looks. Each one feels cozy, seasonal, and unique, all without buying a bunch of new décor. My goal was to show how versatile your everyday pieces can be. By swapping out colors, textures, and small accents, you can build fresh designs that fit your style and your space. Watch the video tutorial Decorating Each Tray My First Tray: Classic Lantern & Autumn Florals For my first tray, I began by placing a round tray on a woven placemat to create a cozy base. Next, I placed the black lantern in the center and added a small LED candle inside. I figured this would provide a soft autumn glow that I love. I took yellow faux florals and arranged them around the lantern to brighten...

Three Easy Candle Jar Ideas for Cozy Porch Décor

I've always thought there was something so comforting about soft candlelight, especially when it’s paired with a few simple faux florals and greenery. Today, I’m sharing a sweet little project in which I decorated a glass jar in three different ways. Each jar has its own personality, glow, and gentle charm. These pieces are perfect for porch décor, but they work beautifully anywhere you want to add a touch of warmth. I love projects like this—simple materials, quiet moments, and a finished piece that feels peaceful and handmade. Watch the Video Tutorial Materials I Used Clear glass jar Battery‑operated candle Faux string of pearls Faux succulents Faux vine Bright pink faux flowers (tops removed from stems) Yellow faux flowers Faux foliage Optional: woven mat or tray for display Jar 1: Succulents & String of Pearls For the first jar, I wanted something earthy and calming. I placed a faux string of pearls inside the jar and let it settle naturally. Around it, I tucked in a few fa...

Easy Steps to Create a Cozy Autumn Tablescape at Home

Hello everyone! I’m excited that you decided to visit the blog today. I wanted to share how to create a cozy autumn tablescape at home. My goal was to design something warm and inviting, as our table is a space where we share conversations, drink coffee, tackle homework, and simply enjoy each other’s company.  I typically don’t go all out when decorating my dining table, but I wanted to show you how I styled it using decor pieces I already had. I would love for you to join me in this decorating adventure! Watch the video tutorial Create a Cozy Autumn Tablescape at Home Items I'm adding to my table:  -White tablecloth runner - Battery-operated leaf lights  - Reusing glass jars  - Mini pumpkins and other fall decorations  - Small "Hello Fall" sign  - Faux flowers I began by spreading my white tablecloth down the center of the table. Around Halloween, I purchased this tablecloth a few years ago at my local Walmart. After laying it out, I realized that I could ...

DIY Ghost Frame (Easy Dollar Tree Halloween Craft)

  Hi everyone! Halloween crafts don’t have to be spooky or complicated, and this little ghost frame is the perfect example. I put it together with a Dollar Tree frame, a few wooden ghosts, some gem buttons, and craft paper I already had in my stash. It’s quick, budget‑friendly, and adds the cutest touch of Halloween charm to any shelf or vignette. I love projects like this because they’re simple and relaxing, and you can customize them however you want. Different colors, different ghosts, different backgrounds — it all works. If you’re looking for a fast Halloween craft that still feels handmade and sweet, this one is definitely worth trying. Watch this video tutorial Materials I used for this project Dollar Tree frame Wooden ghost cutouts Craft paper (any color or pattern you like) Gem buttons or small embellishments Glue (hot glue or craft glue) Scissors Optional: stickers, paint, or extra accents Take the frame apart I started by removing the back of the frame, taking out both ...

Fall Fox Garland: Easy and Affordable DIY Decor with Dollar Tree Items

Create a beautiful fall-themed fox garland using affordable Dollar Tree items. This easy and inexpensive DIY decor project will add a touch of seasonal charm to your home. Follow our step-by-step guide to make your own fall fox garland today. Hello everyone! I'm excited to share an effortless garland design with you all. Our project today involves creating a garland using fox ornaments purchased from Dollar Tree. We will also incorporate wooden mini-leaf embellishments and faux floral to add a wonderful touch. You can find a complete list of materials below. Video tutorial Creating your fall fox garland Materials  Mod Podge Paintbrush Acrylic paint Mini wood leaf embellishments Fox ornaments  Decorative napkin I'm also using a mini-craft iron  Parchment paper Hot glue Craft knife Sandpaper Adding the decorative napkin to the wooden foxes using Mod Podge To prepare the wooden fox for decorating, start by removing the bottom layer of the napkin. If you have a mini craft iro...

Search This Blog

All content Copyright

Copyright 2021-2026 I ask that you do not take or use my photos or words without permission. If you have any questions, please feel free and contact me. Also, for more information on this blog, check out the disclosure policy tab above. Thank you