Skip to main content

Create Your Own Patriotic Stained Glass Decor from Upcycled Jars

If you love crafting, upcycling, and adding a patriotic touch to your home, this stained glass decor project is perfect for you! By reusing three glass jars and transforming them with vibrant stained glass paints, twine, and embellishments, you can create a beautiful, unique centerpiece for your summer celebrations. 

Patriotic upcycled stained glass jar display

Video tutorial

Materials for upcycled glass jar display

Materials You'll Need:

- Three upcycled glass jars

- Blue and white stained glass paint 

- Red acrylic paint (mixed with white stained glass paint to create red)

- Star cupcake toppers (leftover from previous projects)

- Paintbrush

- Gem strips

- Twine

- Scissors

- Hot glue gun

- White flower embellishments

- Heating tool (optional for faster drying)

1. Painting the Jars

Start by applying blue stained glass paint to the first jar. Remember that stained glass paint needs multiple coats for optimal opacity. The Gallery brand takes a few hours to fully cure; however, if you're short on time, you can use a heating tool to speed up the drying process. 

For the second jar, I used white stained glass paint. If you prefer the white to be more opaque rather than glossy and translucent, mix in a small amount of regular white paint before applying. For the third jar, I combined red acrylic paint with the white stained glass paint to create a custom red stained glass finish. Apply it just like the first two jars, making sure to achieve an even color.

Collage showing paint steps

2. Adding Embellishments

Once your jars are dry, it's time to decorate! Wrap twine around the two taller jars, tying two long strands at the front. Break off the wooden picks from the star cupcake toppers, then hot glue two stars onto each twine strand. 

Painted jars, twine, stars and craft flowers

Steps showing decorating jars


For the smaller jar, add a single gem strand around the top section of the jar. 

To complete the design, add white flower embellishments to the smaller jar for a delicate touch.  


Final Touches

Place your beautifully decorated jars on a mantle, dining table, or patio to bring a festive, patriotic glow to your space. Add tea lights or LED candles inside for an elegant and warm illumination.  

Patriotic stained glass jars displayed

By reusing glass jars and incorporating creative elements, you’ve crafted a stunning decor piece that celebrates patriotism while embracing sustainability.  

I would love to hear how yours turn out! What other upcycled crafts do you enjoy? 🎨✨  

Pin Share Save

Pinterest pin for Patriotic Upcycled Jars


Comments

  1. Replies
    1. Susan, thank you. I'm glad you enjoyed this craft project.

      Delete
  2. What a cute idea. I often look at glass jars before I recycle them and think they are too pretty to throw away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amy, thank you. It's always nice to reuse them in projects, so I know exactly what you mean. Thank you for visiting.

      Delete
  3. They look amazing Stephanie, I love all of the crafty ideas you have!
    Visiting from Paula's linky today.
    Blessings, Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jennifer, thank you very much. I'm so happy to hear you enjoyed them. I appreciate you visiting as well.

      Delete
  4. These are so pretty Steph! I always appreciate your videos.

    Thanks bunches for sharing with Sweet Tea & Friends this month dear friend.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paula, thank you so much! I'm glad you enjoyed this project. 😊

      Delete
  5. Love how these turned out! Linking back to them in my next post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, thank you. I'm happy to hear you enjoyed this project! :)

      Delete
  6. So cute and festive! Also, love your tray--nice touch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. I'm glad you like it. 😊

      Delete
  7. This is so darling, Steph. I love the festive look of all this--colors, stars, tray, everything. Thanks for sharing this post with us at the Will Blog for Comments #64 linkup. Hope to see you next time, too. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jennifer, thank you. It was such a fun, upcycled project.

      Delete
  8. I'm featuring you when the next To Grandma's house we go link party starts - thanks for sharing with us!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I, too, like this crafty project. Curious mind here, for the 3rd jar. Wouldn't adding white to the red create pink? I keep seeing pink opaque in my mind.
    Visiting from Happiness is Homemade linkup party.
    All the Best.
    Debra @ Life Captured

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is such a great question! It completely makes sense that your mind goes straight to pink—normally, mixing white paint into red is the perfect recipe for a lovely pastel pink. However, for this specific project, the white actually works a bit differently. Because we are using a translucent base (like Mod Podge or a clear gloss) and just tinting it, the white adds opacity and a milky texture rather than a heavy color change. When it dries and the light shines through, it gives the red a gorgeous, vibrant, frosted glass look instead of turning it into a solid pink. It's a fun little bit of craft magic!
      ​Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving such a thoughtful comment.
      ​All the best,
      Steph

      Delete
  10. Oh, nice! So many possibilities for year round, too! Featuring you at Wednesdays in the Studio.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! Your comments and creative ideas truly brighten my day. I do my best to respond to everyone, so if you have a question or just want to say hello, please leave a note below. To keep our community a positive and inspiring space, spam or off-topic comments will be removed. Happy crafting!

Popular posts from this blog

Easy Steps to Create a Cozy Autumn Tablescape at Home

Hello everyone! I’m excited that you decided to visit the blog today. I wanted to share how to create a cozy autumn tablescape at home. My goal was to design something warm and inviting, as our table is a space where we share conversations, drink coffee, tackle homework, and simply enjoy each other’s company.  I typically don’t go all out when decorating my dining table, but I wanted to show you how I styled it using decor pieces I already had. I would love for you to join me in this decorating adventure! Watch the video tutorial Create a Cozy Autumn Tablescape at Home Items I'm adding to my table:  -White tablecloth runner - Battery-operated leaf lights  - Reusing glass jars  - Mini pumpkins and other fall decorations  - Small "Hello Fall" sign  - Faux flowers I began by spreading my white tablecloth down the center of the table. Around Halloween, I purchased this tablecloth a few years ago at my local Walmart. After laying it out, I realized that I could ...

Easy Autumn Leaf Wood Riser | Using Dollar Tree Wooden Leaves

  Hello! I'm so happy that you decided to stop by. I hope all is well. Today we are creating an Autumn leaf wood riser. I purchased a pack of wooden leaves and wood square blocks from my local Dollar Tree. I wasn't sure what I was going to create with them. I found a piece of scrap wood in my garage and  I figured I would create a wood riser with a wood leaf design. This is a simple craft and is great for beginners.  Video tutorial Materials One scrap wood section -The size  of the one I am using is 7¾ x 3½ Paint -I'm using espresso for my riser and red for my wooden  leaves Four wood square pieces -Purchased a pack at Dollar Tree  (These are being used for the legs on the wood riser) Wooden leaves -Purchased a pack at Dollar Tree I am using 6 leaves. Depending on the size of the wood you use, you  could end up using more or less Paintbrush Hot glue Faux fall floral or leaves Floral cutters Start by taking your paint and applying it onto your scrap woo...

How I Styled 6 Fall Trays Using Simple Reused Decor

  This fall, I wanted to challenge myself to decorate with just a few simple items—things most of us already have tucked away in our craft bins. With one round tray, a Dollar Tree lantern, a battery‑operated LED candle, a handful of faux florals, and a mix of Dollar Tree pumpkins, I created six different autumn looks. Each one feels cozy, seasonal, and unique, all without buying a bunch of new décor. My goal was to show how versatile your everyday pieces can be. By swapping out colors, textures, and small accents, you can build fresh designs that fit your style and your space. Watch the video tutorial Decorating Each Tray My First Tray: Classic Lantern & Autumn Florals For my first tray, I began by placing a round tray on a woven placemat to create a cozy base. Next, I placed the black lantern in the center and added a small LED candle inside. I figured this would provide a soft autumn glow that I love. I took yellow faux florals and arranged them around the lantern to brighten...

How to Create Fall Crate Décor Using Dollar Tree Items

Hello everyone! I hope you are doing well. You all know how much I love these wooden crates from Dollar Tree. I created this cute fall decor that can be added to a tiered tray or mantel. We'll use one wooden crate and a house plaque from Dollar Tree. Let's create and decorate together! Please check out my newest link party on the  Crazylittlelovebirds  blog if you haven't already. It runs from Fridays at 9:00 a.m. MST to Tuesdays at 11:00 p.m. MST.  Video tutorial Materials One wooden crate One wooden house plaque Acrylic paint Wooden letters Any Adhesive or Hot glue Foam craft blocks Faux fall floral/greenery Paintbrushes Mod Podge Decorative paper Floral cutters Scissors One pencil for tracing I have chosen to decorate with mini pumpkins, a squirrel figurine, and an unpainted leaf ornament for the fall season. Step 1: Tracing your wooden house plaque onto decorative paper Place the wooden house plaque on the decorative paper and trace its shape with a pencil. Cut out th...

DIY Valentine's Wooden Heart Riser.

Create a charming Valentine's wooden heart riser with this DIY craft tutorial. It's a perfect addition to your holiday decor and makes a heartfelt gift. Get step-by-step instructions and unleash your creativity! Be sure to check out the video tutorial below Materials One Wooden heart  (Target Dollar Aisle) Three large wooden beads Diamond Gem wrap (Purchased at the Dollar Tree. Sticky backing) Paintbrush Paint  (I'm using a light pink) Scissors Faux Flowers Adhesive (E6000, Any will work) Hot Glue Start by taking your wooden heart, and applying pink paint to the front surface. It is entirely up to you, but you can also apply paint to the bottom side of your wooden heart.   You will need around two coats of paint when you are completely finished. Once you have applied all coats of the paint, set your wooden heart aside, and allow it to dry. First, take three large beads and apply some white paint to each of them. Set them aside to dry. After the beads have dried, flip...

Search This Blog

All content Copyright

Copyright 2021-2026 I ask that you do not take or use my photos or words without permission. If you have any questions, please feel free and contact me. Also, for more information on this blog, check out the disclosure policy tab above. Thank you