Skip to main content

DIY Turtle Planter Upgrade

Hello everyone! Recently, I visited my local Target store and stumbled upon a turtle planter in the craft aisle. I was thrilled to find it and even more excited to decorate it. The little unfinished turtle planter cost only three dollars. If you can't find this exact planter, don't worry! I noticed a few craft stores have unpainted ceramic pots and similar items.

 In this tutorial, I will show you how to decorate this turtle planter using faux succulents, Spanish moss, and other materials. I had most of the materials on hand and only purchased the turtle for this project. So, if you are ready, let's begin this fun project and upgrade this cute little turtle planter.

Painted ceramic turtle pot with faux succulents and gems

Video tutorial



Materials-Hot glue, paint, scissors, succulents and gems


Materials needed

One unfinished turtle planter-I purchased my planter at Target

Faux succulents- You can find these at Dollar Tree

Spanish moss- Dollar Tree

Hot glue

Paint- I'm using black, and a color called celery 

Adhesive

Craft gem wrap-Dollar Tree

Craft gems- Dollar tree

Foam block

Step one: Applying paint to the ceramic turtle

Unpainted ceramic turtle and black paint

Painted ceramic turtle pot

Start by taking your planter, and applying black paint to the planter, which would be the turtle shell. Apply around two coats of paint of black paint.

Paint and ceramic turtle pot

Next, take your second paint, and apply it to the body of the planter. The head, neck, bottom, and legs of the turtle planter.

Step two: Adding the gem wrap

craft gems and painted turtle ceramic pot

Hand holding craft gem wrap near painted ceramic turtle pot

ceramic turtle pot with black paint and gold gem wrap

Once you have painted your planter, it's time to add the gem wrap. The gems that I purchased have a sticky backing. I decided to add some adhesive to ensure they stick properly. 

Cut two strips of gems using scissors. Apply the gems around the top opening of your planter. 

If you choose to use adhesive, apply a small amount on the backside of each gem. If you end up with a space without gems, use the second strip to cut a tiny section to fill in the gap.

Step three: Adding colorful craft gems

crafts gems and painted turtle pot

Painted turtle pot with craft gems

Once you have added the gold gems around the top opening of your planter, take your craft gems, and using your adhesive begin to place the gems onto your planter. I placed my gems over the designs that the planter had.

Step four: Adding the foam block

Ceramic turtle pot with foam block

Scissors and foam block

First, grab your scissors and carefully cut a small piece of the foam block. Ensure the foam block you cut is small enough to fit inside the planter. You can use a craft knife to make the cut if your foam block is hard. Once you have your foam block, place it inside the planter.

Step five: Adding Spanish moss

turtle pot with Spanish moss

Take your moss, and take a small amount. Use your hot glue, and apply a thin layer of your hot glue on the top section of your foam block. Spread your moss evenly on top of the foam block. 

Step six: Adding faux succulents

Turtle pot and faux succulents

Turtle planter with faux succulents

Next, take your faux succulents, and place them around the moss, and foam block. I inserted my two bigger succulents and used hot glue on the smaller flowers. 

Your turtle planter is now complete, and ready to display. I love how this turned out. It is such a beautiful addition to any space. I hope you have enjoyed it! I'll see you soon.

Faux succulents in turtle pot

faux succulents in turtle pot


Pin/Save/Share

Turtle planter upgrade with faux succulents


Comments

  1. That turned out nice! I don't know how you keep coming up with so many new ideas. Thanks so much for linking up at the #UnlimitedLinkParty 105. Shared.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dee, thank you! Aw, I try to keep coming up with new craft ideas. Sometimes it can be difficult. Thanks so much for stopping by.

      Delete

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! Your comments and creative ideas truly brighten my day. I do my best to respond to everyone, so if you have a question or just want to say hello, please leave a note below. To keep our community a positive and inspiring space, spam or off-topic comments will be removed. Happy crafting!

Popular posts from this blog

Easy Steps to Create a Cozy Autumn Tablescape at Home

Hello everyone! I’m excited that you decided to visit the blog today. I wanted to share how to create a cozy autumn tablescape at home. My goal was to design something warm and inviting, as our table is a space where we share conversations, drink coffee, tackle homework, and simply enjoy each other’s company.  I typically don’t go all out when decorating my dining table, but I wanted to show you how I styled it using decor pieces I already had. I would love for you to join me in this decorating adventure! Watch the video tutorial Create a Cozy Autumn Tablescape at Home Items I'm adding to my table:  -White tablecloth runner - Battery-operated leaf lights  - Reusing glass jars  - Mini pumpkins and other fall decorations  - Small "Hello Fall" sign  - Faux flowers I began by spreading my white tablecloth down the center of the table. Around Halloween, I purchased this tablecloth a few years ago at my local Walmart. After laying it out, I realized that I could ...

How I Styled 6 Fall Trays Using Simple Reused Decor

  This fall, I wanted to challenge myself to decorate with just a few simple items—things most of us already have tucked away in our craft bins. With one round tray, a Dollar Tree lantern, a battery‑operated LED candle, a handful of faux florals, and a mix of Dollar Tree pumpkins, I created six different autumn looks. Each one feels cozy, seasonal, and unique, all without buying a bunch of new décor. My goal was to show how versatile your everyday pieces can be. By swapping out colors, textures, and small accents, you can build fresh designs that fit your style and your space. Watch the video tutorial Decorating Each Tray My First Tray: Classic Lantern & Autumn Florals For my first tray, I began by placing a round tray on a woven placemat to create a cozy base. Next, I placed the black lantern in the center and added a small LED candle inside. I figured this would provide a soft autumn glow that I love. I took yellow faux florals and arranged them around the lantern to brighten...

Easy Autumn Leaf Wood Riser | Using Dollar Tree Wooden Leaves

  Hello! I'm so happy that you decided to stop by. I hope all is well. Today we are creating an Autumn leaf wood riser. I purchased a pack of wooden leaves and wood square blocks from my local Dollar Tree. I wasn't sure what I was going to create with them. I found a piece of scrap wood in my garage and  I figured I would create a wood riser with a wood leaf design. This is a simple craft and is great for beginners.  Video tutorial Materials One scrap wood section -The size  of the one I am using is 7¾ x 3½ Paint -I'm using espresso for my riser and red for my wooden  leaves Four wood square pieces -Purchased a pack at Dollar Tree  (These are being used for the legs on the wood riser) Wooden leaves -Purchased a pack at Dollar Tree I am using 6 leaves. Depending on the size of the wood you use, you  could end up using more or less Paintbrush Hot glue Faux fall floral or leaves Floral cutters Start by taking your paint and applying it onto your scrap woo...

DIY Mini Wood Lantern

  Hello everyone. I'm so excited to share this mini wood lantern craft with you all. I recently bought a box of wood tumbling blocks from Dollar Tree, and I wasn't sure what I was going to create with them. I decided since I also had some wood craft popsicle sticks on hand that I would use those with the blocks, and create a mini wood lantern. This project took around 30 minutes, but I promise you, you will just love how it all comes together with just a few materials. If you're ready, I'd love it if you created it with me!  Video tutorial Materials One pack of wood tumbling blocks  I purchased mine at my local Dollar Tree Ten wood craft popsicle sticks Paint  I'm using black paint, I also had some antique white paint on hand, but I went with black paint Hot glue Twine Faux floral, and greenery One medium-sized bead One battery-operated candle Floral snips Scissors Building the top and bottom sections of the lantern Start by taking five of your tumbling blocks. Usin...

Charming Fall Decorations Using Simple Terra Cotta Pots

These DIY craft ideas transform simple terra cotta pots into charming fall decorations. Elevate your home decor with these creative and easy-to-make projects for the autumn season. Hey everyone! I'm glad you stopped by. Today, I want to share an easy fall decoration idea with you. I'm reusing three Terra Cotta pots from a previous craft to create these decorations. You'll need just a few materials, most of which you may already have at home, to make your fall pot decorations. Video tutorial  Charming Fall Decorations Using Simple Terra Cotta Pots Materials needed: - Three pots (Terra Cotta or any type) - Fall wooden decorations (such as a fox, acorn, and a leaf)  - Artificial flowers - Assorted fall decorations (e.g., mini pumpkins) - Acrylic paint - Paintbrush - Burlap ribbon or any ribbon of your choice - Scissors  - Hot glue - Mod Podge - Decorative napkins - Foam blocks Use a paintbrush to apply acrylic paint to each pot. I painted each pot a different fall color like...

Search This Blog

All content Copyright

Copyright 2021-2026 I ask that you do not take or use my photos or words without permission. If you have any questions, please feel free and contact me. Also, for more information on this blog, check out the disclosure policy tab above. Thank you