Skip to main content

DIY Stacked Wood Books

Learn how to create a beautiful and unique DIY wood-stacked book decor that adds a charming touch to any room. This step-by-step guide will show you how to create this craft using simple materials and techniques.

Hi everyone! I hope you're all doing well. This week, I worked on creating a simple stacked wood book decoration. I've been inspired to make these for a while now. I saw a few projects where people were using the Dollar Tree wood box. I decided I wanted my stacked books to be slightly bigger than the Dollar Tree ones, so I checked out some wooden shadow boxes at Michaels. I'll share the step-by-step process I used to make this project.



Video tutorial





Materials 

3 wood shadow boxes (These boxes were $1 each)
Wood beads 
Twine
Black paint
White paint
Greenery 
Wood filler
Hot glue
Gold lettering
Sponge brush/Paintbrush

Creating your stacked wooden books

Start by taking any twine and screws out of your box. This only applies if you have purchased the wooden shadow boxes from Michaels. The back of each box had two screws in it, and also stapled twine. I went ahead and pressed the two staples completely down after removing the twine, and I filled the screw holes in with just a little wood filler. 


Begin by applying black paint to the top of your first wooden shadow box. I recommend using about three coats of paint for a solid finish. 

 

Once you have finished painting the first box, take your hot glue and apply it to the next box. 

 

You won’t need to paint the tops of the other two boxes since they will be stacked. Make sure to flip the boxes over so that the open sides of each shadow box are facing down.







Apply glue to the closed side of each box. Then, glue the boxes together and stack them on top of one another. Once your boxes are stacked, apply black paint around all four sides. 

 

Allow the black paint to dry completely. Next, take some white paint and add a line of paint between the spaces on the front side of each block. This will create a shadow effect.




Take your gold letters and apply them to the front of your boxes. I went with the words love, joy, and peace. If you have any gold heart stickers, you can apply those as well. It is completely optional, but I also applied a gold love sticker on the top of my book stack. 



Now you are ready to create your bead design. Take some twine and string a few beads onto your twine. You can go with any pattern that you choose. 

I found that if you apply just a small amount of clear adhesive on the very end of your twine, it makes it easy to string the beads down the twine. 

Once you have around ten beads, you can tie off the end. I tied a knot at the very end and cut off any extra twine. 






Next, take your greenery and cut a small section off. Set it aside with your bead design. 


You can now apply white paint to all three sides of your books. I did this because I wanted my wood-stacked books to appear to have pages. Applying the black paint first and the white after helps give the books a shadow effect. 

Take some extra twine and wrap it around your stacked books. I used two sections of twine that I cut and tied around my books. 


All that is left is to insert your greenery through the twine on top and add your beads. I tied my beads through the top of the twine next to my greenery.  






That is it; your stacked wood books are complete! I hope that you have enjoyed this simple DIY project. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask! I love hearing from all of you. Thank you so much for stopping by!! 

Pin/Share/Save



Comments

  1. I love this idea, how clever!

    You're most welcome to join me in a cuppa at Tea With Jennifer,
    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jennifer, aw thank you so much! I'll be sure to stop by! :)

      Delete
  2. What a lovely DIY, Steph! And I love the twist of using press on decals for the lettering! Thank you for sharing at Tuesday Turn About... I'll be featuring you at this week's party!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Julie, thank you so much.I'm so happy to hear that you enjoyed this project. Thank you so much for the feature.

      Delete
  3. These look great Stephanie, I love stacked books and use them in decor often. I have never made some from wood though. Too cute! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. There was a time I was having such a fun time creating these wooden stacked books using the wooden crates from Dollar Tree.

      Delete
  4. Very pretty, another one you need to put in a shop :) Thanks so much for linking up at the #UnlimitedLinkParty 122. Pinned.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Visiting again to say thanks so much for linking up at the #UnlimitedLinkParty 134. Pinned again too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great idea. It turned out beautifully! Visiting from Unlimited Link Party 134. (I'd love to have you post this at my linkup as well, if you'd like: https://lifetalesbooks.blogspot.com/p/calling-fellow-bloggers.html)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jennifer, thank you so much. Yes, I will join your linkup as well. Thank you for visiting. :)

      Delete
  8. Stephanie, CONGRATS! Your post is FEATURED at the #UnlimitedLinkParty 135!

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are super cute! They came out great. Thanks so much for sharing at the Home Imagined link party. XO- MaryJo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for sharing with us, I'm featuring you this week when the next To Grandma's house we go link party starts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tarahlynn, thank you very much. Excited to be featured at your party. 😊

      Delete
  11. Happy New Year Creative Friend! This is just brilliant and I'm featuring when my first party of the year opens. LOVE these!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carol, Happy New Year, friend. Aw, I'm so glad you enjoyed it. It was such a fun project. Can't wait to join your party later.

      Delete

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! Your comments and creative ideas truly brighten my day. I do my best to respond to everyone, so if you have a question or just want to say hello, please leave a note below. To keep our community a positive and inspiring space, spam or off-topic comments will be removed. Happy crafting!

Popular posts from this blog

How I Styled 6 Fall Trays Using Simple Reused Decor

  This fall, I wanted to challenge myself to decorate with just a few simple items—things most of us already have tucked away in our craft bins. With one round tray, a Dollar Tree lantern, a battery‑operated LED candle, a handful of faux florals, and a mix of Dollar Tree pumpkins, I created six different autumn looks. Each one feels cozy, seasonal, and unique, all without buying a bunch of new décor. My goal was to show how versatile your everyday pieces can be. By swapping out colors, textures, and small accents, you can build fresh designs that fit your style and your space. Watch the video tutorial Decorating Each Tray My First Tray: Classic Lantern & Autumn Florals For my first tray, I began by placing a round tray on a woven placemat to create a cozy base. Next, I placed the black lantern in the center and added a small LED candle inside. I figured this would provide a soft autumn glow that I love. I took yellow faux florals and arranged them around the lantern to brighten...

Fall Fox Garland: Easy and Affordable DIY Decor with Dollar Tree Items

Create a beautiful fall-themed fox garland using affordable Dollar Tree items. This easy and inexpensive DIY decor project will add a touch of seasonal charm to your home. Follow our step-by-step guide to make your own fall fox garland today. Hello everyone! I'm excited to share an effortless garland design with you all. Our project today involves creating a garland using fox ornaments purchased from Dollar Tree. We will also incorporate wooden mini-leaf embellishments and faux floral to add a wonderful touch. You can find a complete list of materials below. Video tutorial Creating your fall fox garland Materials  Mod Podge Paintbrush Acrylic paint Mini wood leaf embellishments Fox ornaments  Decorative napkin I'm also using a mini-craft iron  Parchment paper Hot glue Craft knife Sandpaper Adding the decorative napkin to the wooden foxes using Mod Podge To prepare the wooden fox for decorating, start by removing the bottom layer of the napkin. If you have a mini craft iro...

Three Easy Candle Jar Ideas for Cozy Porch Décor

I've always thought there was something so comforting about soft candlelight, especially when it’s paired with a few simple faux florals and greenery. Today, I’m sharing a sweet little project in which I decorated a glass jar in three different ways. Each jar has its own personality, glow, and gentle charm. These pieces are perfect for porch décor, but they work beautifully anywhere you want to add a touch of warmth. I love projects like this—simple materials, quiet moments, and a finished piece that feels peaceful and handmade. Watch the Video Tutorial Materials I Used Clear glass jar Battery‑operated candle Faux string of pearls Faux succulents Faux vine Bright pink faux flowers (tops removed from stems) Yellow faux flowers Faux foliage Optional: woven mat or tray for display Jar 1: Succulents & String of Pearls For the first jar, I wanted something earthy and calming. I placed a faux string of pearls inside the jar and let it settle naturally. Around it, I tucked in a few fa...

DIY Ghost Frame (Easy Dollar Tree Halloween Craft)

  Hi everyone! Halloween crafts don’t have to be spooky or complicated, and this little ghost frame is the perfect example. I put it together with a Dollar Tree frame, a few wooden ghosts, some gem buttons, and craft paper I already had in my stash. It’s quick, budget‑friendly, and adds the cutest touch of Halloween charm to any shelf or vignette. I love projects like this because they’re simple and relaxing, and you can customize them however you want. Different colors, different ghosts, different backgrounds — it all works. If you’re looking for a fast Halloween craft that still feels handmade and sweet, this one is definitely worth trying. Watch this video tutorial Materials I used for this project Dollar Tree frame Wooden ghost cutouts Craft paper (any color or pattern you like) Gem buttons or small embellishments Glue (hot glue or craft glue) Scissors Optional: stickers, paint, or extra accents Take the frame apart I started by removing the back of the frame, taking out both ...

How I Refreshed an Old Garden Statue with Paint (Easy Patio DIY)

This charming toad perched on his toadstool has been a beloved part of our patio for years, enduring the passage of time while gradually succumbing to the effects of sun and weather. With each season, he has faded a little more, losing some of his vibrant colors and details. Rather than allowing him to blend into the background and become just another forgotten decoration, I decided it was time to breathe new life into him.  Watch the Video Tutorial I shared the whole process in a quick YouTube Shorts video called “Watch Me Refresh This Old Garden Statue.” It’s a simple before‑and‑after, but such a satisfying one.  Materials I Used Garden statue (mine is a toad on a toadstool) Sandpaper Acrylic paints Small detail brushes Mod Podge (for sealing and protection) Sanding and Painting I began by gently sanding the statue to smooth out the chipped and faded paint. It only takes a few minutes, but it makes such a difference. Once the surface felt ready, I brought out my a...

Search This Blog

All content Copyright

Copyright 2021-2026 I ask that you do not take or use my photos or words without permission. If you have any questions, please feel free and contact me. Also, for more information on this blog, check out the disclosure policy tab above. Thank you