Skip to main content

Two Decorating Ideas For Plastic Plates

 


Happy April! I hope that all is well and that your days are filled with plenty of sunshine. I recently took a trip to my local Dollar Tree, and my oldest daughter mentioned how I should do a craft with the plastic plates that they had on display in the party section. The plates she chose had a spring feel to them. 

I'll be showing you how to decorate two plastic plates. The pack that I purchased comes with six plates for  $1.25. If you're ready we will begin this simple DIY project.

Video tutorial




Materials needed for plate #1

One plastic plate

One wall creations of birds, and flower

adhesive/hot glue

Pearl gems

floral

Twine

Paint- I'm using white, and a purple

Design #1



Decorating the first plate


Start with taking your plate, and your wall creation decals. Take your bird, and your flower, and add them to your plate. If you choose, you can add your paint to your bird, and flower before adding them to your plate. I chose to paint them after adding them to the plate. The back sides of the flower, and bird have a sticky backing, but I chose to add an extra adhesive to give it that extra hold. 

After you add your decals, you can now add your pearl gems. I placed my gems around the outer section of my bird, and flower.  Continue to add your gems until you have created a full circle with them.

After adding your gems, you can now apply paint to your bird, and flower if you have not done so yet. I applied around three coats of paint.


Next, take your hot glue, and floral. Begin to glue your flowers on the bottom section of your plate. 



After you have added your floral, you can now add your twine to the back of your plate. Take your scissors and cut a small strand of twine. Use some hot glue, and attach your twine to the back of your plate.


Your first design is complete.



Materials needed for plate #2

One plastic plate

Mod podge

Paintbrush

Hot glue

floral

twine

One decorative napkin

Scissors

One pencil


Decorating the second plate



Start by taking your napkin, and placing it on top of the plastic plate. Be sure to lay the napkin flat on the surface of the plate. Once you have done so take your pencil and begin to trace a circle onto your napkin. 

Once you have traced the inner plate onto the napkin, start to remove the second layer from your napkin. With the napkin being two-ply, you will only want the top layer of the napkin. 


Once you have removed the second layer, begin to cut out the traced section of your napkin. Once it is cut out, set your napkin aside.



Next, take your paint brush and apply mod podge onto your plastic plate. Apply a thin even layer onto the inner surface of your plate.

After applying the mod podge, take your napkin and set it inside your plate. Gently smooth out any lines or bubbles. After I took my heat gun and applied some heat to the surface before applying my next coat of mod podge. 


You're ready to add the mod podge on top of your napkin. If you choose you can use a heat gun, or blow dryer to allow it to dry faster.


Now you are ready to start to add on your twine. Take your twine, and cut two medium strands. Take a little hot glue, and add just a little to the end of the strands. Doing this it will help to keep the two strands together when adding the twine around the plate.



Next, take the two strands, and begin to add them around the inner section of your plate. As you apply the hot glue, take your twine, lay it on top of the glue, and gently press it down. Continue with this step until you come to a full circle around the inner section of the plate. Cut any remaining twine, and glue down the end.



I had pre-cut my faux floral to just the tops of my floral pieces. I decided I wanted just the tops of the floral, and I glued those around the side of the plastic plate. 



After you have glued on your floral, take your scissors, and cut a small strand of twine. Flip your plate, and using your hot glue attach the twine to the top of your plate for hanging your design. That is it, you're all done. I hope that you have enjoyed these two simple DIY creations. 

 Let me know if you decide to design your very own. I'll see you all soon! 

Pin/Save/Share






Comments

  1. What a cute idea. Thanks so much for linking up at the #UnlimitedLinkParty 104. Shared.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! Your comments and creative ideas truly brighten my day. I do my best to respond to everyone, so if you have a question or just want to say hello, please leave a note below. To keep our community a positive and inspiring space, spam or off-topic comments will be removed. Happy crafting!

Popular posts from this blog

How I Styled 6 Fall Trays Using Simple Reused Decor

  This fall, I wanted to challenge myself to decorate with just a few simple items—things most of us already have tucked away in our craft bins. With one round tray, a Dollar Tree lantern, a battery‑operated LED candle, a handful of faux florals, and a mix of Dollar Tree pumpkins, I created six different autumn looks. Each one feels cozy, seasonal, and unique, all without buying a bunch of new décor. My goal was to show how versatile your everyday pieces can be. By swapping out colors, textures, and small accents, you can build fresh designs that fit your style and your space. Watch the video tutorial Decorating Each Tray My First Tray: Classic Lantern & Autumn Florals For my first tray, I began by placing a round tray on a woven placemat to create a cozy base. Next, I placed the black lantern in the center and added a small LED candle inside. I figured this would provide a soft autumn glow that I love. I took yellow faux florals and arranged them around the lantern to brighten...

Three Easy Candle Jar Ideas for Cozy Porch Décor

I've always thought there was something so comforting about soft candlelight, especially when it’s paired with a few simple faux florals and greenery. Today, I’m sharing a sweet little project in which I decorated a glass jar in three different ways. Each jar has its own personality, glow, and gentle charm. These pieces are perfect for porch décor, but they work beautifully anywhere you want to add a touch of warmth. I love projects like this—simple materials, quiet moments, and a finished piece that feels peaceful and handmade. Watch the Video Tutorial Materials I Used Clear glass jar Battery‑operated candle Faux string of pearls Faux succulents Faux vine Bright pink faux flowers (tops removed from stems) Yellow faux flowers Faux foliage Optional: woven mat or tray for display Jar 1: Succulents & String of Pearls For the first jar, I wanted something earthy and calming. I placed a faux string of pearls inside the jar and let it settle naturally. Around it, I tucked in a few fa...

Easy Steps to Create a Cozy Autumn Tablescape at Home

Hello everyone! I’m excited that you decided to visit the blog today. I wanted to share how to create a cozy autumn tablescape at home. My goal was to design something warm and inviting, as our table is a space where we share conversations, drink coffee, tackle homework, and simply enjoy each other’s company.  I typically don’t go all out when decorating my dining table, but I wanted to show you how I styled it using decor pieces I already had. I would love for you to join me in this decorating adventure! Watch the video tutorial Create a Cozy Autumn Tablescape at Home Items I'm adding to my table:  -White tablecloth runner - Battery-operated leaf lights  - Reusing glass jars  - Mini pumpkins and other fall decorations  - Small "Hello Fall" sign  - Faux flowers I began by spreading my white tablecloth down the center of the table. Around Halloween, I purchased this tablecloth a few years ago at my local Walmart. After laying it out, I realized that I could ...

DIY Ghost Frame (Easy Dollar Tree Halloween Craft)

  Hi everyone! Halloween crafts don’t have to be spooky or complicated, and this little ghost frame is the perfect example. I put it together with a Dollar Tree frame, a few wooden ghosts, some gem buttons, and craft paper I already had in my stash. It’s quick, budget‑friendly, and adds the cutest touch of Halloween charm to any shelf or vignette. I love projects like this because they’re simple and relaxing, and you can customize them however you want. Different colors, different ghosts, different backgrounds — it all works. If you’re looking for a fast Halloween craft that still feels handmade and sweet, this one is definitely worth trying. Watch this video tutorial Materials I used for this project Dollar Tree frame Wooden ghost cutouts Craft paper (any color or pattern you like) Gem buttons or small embellishments Glue (hot glue or craft glue) Scissors Optional: stickers, paint, or extra accents Take the frame apart I started by removing the back of the frame, taking out both ...

Fall Fox Garland: Easy and Affordable DIY Decor with Dollar Tree Items

Create a beautiful fall-themed fox garland using affordable Dollar Tree items. This easy and inexpensive DIY decor project will add a touch of seasonal charm to your home. Follow our step-by-step guide to make your own fall fox garland today. Hello everyone! I'm excited to share an effortless garland design with you all. Our project today involves creating a garland using fox ornaments purchased from Dollar Tree. We will also incorporate wooden mini-leaf embellishments and faux floral to add a wonderful touch. You can find a complete list of materials below. Video tutorial Creating your fall fox garland Materials  Mod Podge Paintbrush Acrylic paint Mini wood leaf embellishments Fox ornaments  Decorative napkin I'm also using a mini-craft iron  Parchment paper Hot glue Craft knife Sandpaper Adding the decorative napkin to the wooden foxes using Mod Podge To prepare the wooden fox for decorating, start by removing the bottom layer of the napkin. If you have a mini craft iro...

Search This Blog

All content Copyright

Copyright 2021-2026 I ask that you do not take or use my photos or words without permission. If you have any questions, please feel free and contact me. Also, for more information on this blog, check out the disclosure policy tab above. Thank you